Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A cool exercise!

     Sam Green, Washington State's Poet Laureate, came to my class today and talked with kids about poetry.
     In one of his sessions he shared this rockin' activity wtih the kids, and I found myself completley inspired!
     OK, so you make three columns on your paper: adjectives, concrete nouns, abstract nouns.



ugly shoes love
baggy guitar truth
soft cup honor
old river grief
good mountain courage
rough dog sadness
curly car intelligence
purple moon anger
skinny house happiness
broken frying pan hunger


     Next you fill in the blanks. The (adjective) (concrete noun) of (abstract noun).
     Examples: The broken cup of courage. The old shoes of grief. The purple moon of happiness.
     Then you take the phrase and make it into a poem.

The broken cup of courage
tottered on the table,
while he walked away,
leaving her to wonder
what he needed to say.

************************


Still walking in them,
more because I can't
throw away these
old shoes of grief;
they are my comfort.
worn perfectly:
holes in the toes,
separated souls,
fadedgreen with
laces frayed.
the gatekeepers
to my memory lane.