Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Need SLEEP!

Insomnia
It always seems to happens
at this time of the year
when my life is about to change
when I won’t have to get up with an alarm
when I won’t have to go to bed before Letterman
I find myself,
in spite of myself,
not tired and too tired
simultaneously
I want to sleep but I want to be awake
I don’t want to miss a thing,
so for about two weeks
I will be all messed up
and then I will find
the right rhythm
until I have to change it again
back to the way it was



Insomnia II

Do you ever have a mind that just won’t sleep?
Where you think about everything and anything
even if you want to think about nothing?
and your mind chases a bunch of what ifs
into some unknown and endless hole
of thoughts gone awry,
and before you know it
your brain just feeds on itself
and the clock glares 3:34 a.m.
and even though your eyes are dry
and you close them, you can’t shut your mind
so you pretend to be asleep and maybe just dreaming
when really it’s your mind playing out at recess
way past the bell to summon you in and quiet?